Stuart Gulley is the President of Woodward Academy
1. Why are you an educator?
Education is essential for human development. To me, there is no greater calling than to participate in the education of others.
2. What are you working on now?
Leading Woodward Academy is a full-time responsibility, which is a great blessing to me.
To work with educators in discerning the latest trends in education is a top priority.
3. What were your favorite children’s books to read when you were a child?
Good Night Moon
The Little Engine That Could
4. What contemporary children’s books do you recommend?
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
The Light Within You
5. Why is diverse representation in children’s literature important?
Children need to see themselves represented in school curricula, and especially the books/texts that are used validate their own lived experience.
6. How can educators use children’s literature to teach empathy, kindness, and tolerance?
Reading a book, with a group discussion afterward, is an important way to advance the values of empathy, kindness, and tolerance.
7. Where may we find you online?